Sunday, December 2, 2012

Here we go

Ok, so Day 2 of "December Practice Month" is a go. Ironically enough, I actually have some things to talk about. My brother and I went to Columbia to the movies to see The Rise of the Guardians and it was FANTASTIC. For those who don't know, the movie is about 6 childhood figures: The Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, The Sandman, Jack Frost, and the antagonist, Pitch Black (a.k.a. The Boogie Man). Jack Frost is the only one of the characters that the children of the world don't believe in and he hates it. Well, the boogie man decides that he's going to exploit that and use the separation of the 5 to try and destroy them. In the end, good triumphs over evil, blah blah blah. Same cliche story line. Even though the story itself has been done (classic figures and fables retold in an ironic light), the actual movie was REALLY good. There were decent plot twists and a good ending. I left the theater very happy with the money I spent on a movie ticket. I definitely recommend seeing it.

I watched another movie called An Englishman in New York. Now, I'm not entirely sure what the movie was about. It was all very wanna-be british humor but what HAPPENS is this famous author (who's name escapes me) moves from London to New York, New York to be a public speaker. Well, the movie really wasn't that entertaining, mostly because the main character spoke every last one of his sentences with the EXACT SAME EMPHASIS. Imagine a highly refined, upper class, English woman saying "I tire of these games" and then use that same inflection for every sentence she spoke. Highly repetitive and counter-productive, isn't it... Well, out of all of this, there was one section of the movie where this man is in a gay club speaking on stage and he says one particular part of his monologue that I absolutely LOVED. It was amazing. Here it is:
"Don’t look forward where there is doubt
Nor backwards where there is regret.
Look inward and ask not if there is anything outside that you want
But whether there is something inside that you have not yet unpacked"
Even though the entire movie really sucked, this line made it so worth the hour and a half.

Not to make this about cinema, my new favorite T.V. show is The Vampire Diaries. I got into it because it was in my recommendations on Netflix and I recognized the leading lady from the Teen Nick show Victorious, in which she also stars. (That's a personal favorite of mine, as well). IT. IS. A-MA-ZING!! Of course, I have been using that word a lot and this is only my first post. I promise, by the time January comes around, I will have found more adjectives to use and will have widened my horizons of perspective. In the meantime, I'm going to go watch another episode to desperately try and get caught up so that I can obsess and hopelessly wait for new seasons. It'll only be my luck that it's been canceled...

Peace, Love, and an addiction to a cliche t.v. show,

Matty Taylor :)

No comments:

Post a Comment